Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Wales

Before I start with my wee adventure in the weekend, I will cap off last week.

On the Tuesday, went to the pub with a few workmates for ONE pint. That one pint turned into a few more than desired and I ended up stumbling onto the tube and feeling dizzy, wondering why it seemed to take a much quicker time than what it normally did. I couldn't help it - one of my bosses turned up and started forking out for drinks and telling these ridiculous stories about the office. It is crazy the things that have happened here.

Got me kinda worried.

Anyway, the next day, it was fair to say that I wasnt in the healthiest of head spaces. It was OK though because most others in the office were like that also. By Friday, with a lack of sleep, and a pounding head from too much computer screen action, I was fairly spent. Nevertheless, I always find a way to dig myself in deeper and I discovered that the weekend I had decided to go to Wales was the exact same weekend that the London Council had decided to complete uproot its entire underground network.
So, to get to Paddington station to catch the 7:30am train to Wales, we had to wake up at around 5am to catch all these alternative underground routes that will get us to a destination that should have taken 15 mins.

I am getting fairly over this underground. Its the whole 'over-the-under' situation.

Anyway, we got to Wales on time and felt like we had already been up for half a day. What was to happen? you wonder. Well, someone was found dead on the tracks. So that inevitably meant that all trains were shutdown until the police could investigate the situation. So, after all our mucking around, we could have slept in longer anyway. Its that Murphy's Law thing.

We finally got on our train and relaxed into a table seat, playing cards, as we were hurtled through the English countryside at break neck speed. They really have ramped up train efficiency over here. We stepped off the train in Cardiff at around lunchtime. Now, I realise that Cardiff is the capital of Wales but what I didnt realise is how tiny it is for a capital city. We walked the whole town in little under half an hour. Strolling out to the harbour, we decided to forego a bus tour and opt for a water tour. "Forget the bus" I said to Renee "Water is where it is at!" and I jumped on board having paid my £4 in excitement.

Cardiff, Wales

Anyone speak Welsh?, Cardiff, Wales

This was possibly the most boring boat ride I have ever been on. Instead of a tour boat it was more like a ferry with some guy rambling on about plants. "As you can see to your right, those bushes over there is what the harbour had by its water edge before they decided to clear it". Some people took photos. Of a bush.

I almost cried.

Cardiff, Wales

We headed back to the city after a spot of eating and found Cardiff Castle, which we paid over £10 to get in. It was fairly cool, I guess. I took heaps of photos and then bought a small Welsh dragon in the gift shop, as well as a tiny pencil sharpener fashioned into a working catapult. I cannot describe how cool it is, and for £2 I thought 'why not'.

Cardiff, Wales

Cardiff, Wales

Renee and I then headed to a local bar and sat down for some ciders. The sun was scorching and the ice evaporated quickly. It was then that I noticed something very strange. Everyone was walking around fulfilling at least 1 of the following descriptions; wifebeater singlet, tattoos, hot pants and/or, no top on at all (unfortunately it was only the guys). It would seem if you didnt adhear to these strict codes then you obviously weren't Welsh, ala myself. I stuck out like a sore thumb, what with my jeans, t-shirt, ink free skin, and sunburnt nose.

So, we got back on the train, had an interchange at a station in Bristol, had a smart ass kid try to tell me that my seat on the train was actually his before I started to position myself in boxing stance and he quickly moved. Idiot.
Got back home around midnight and fell into bed.

The next day wqas an absolute scorcher so the flatties and I headed to Wimbledon park for some beers, tennis ball petanque and dark glass observing. The place was packed, I would love to see it when tennis is actually played there.

So that weekend was great. I have Oxford this weekend (available funds permitting) and we have just booked tickets to Ireland in a few weekends time. They were £3 each way.

Nice