Wednesday, February 14, 2007

On sunday Sarah and I made our way out to see Canterbury Catherdal as Tim wa going in those directions anyway. The place was huge and is apparently the most spectacular church in all of Britain. It was pretty cool and had been added onto over the years so it had all different styles happening all through it.

Monday was a big day. We got an all day travel pass and went all over trying to nip the things that I have to do for this scholarship in the bud. Went to the natural History Museum first though which was pretty cool to see dinosaur skeletons and such. Didnt see a T-rex however. It alluded me.

Went out to Greenwich area and saw the Millenium Dome and the Millenium Village and West Silvertown (they weren't that exciting from a tourist perspective but I got what I needed from it for my lecture.

Yesterday we jumped aboard the Eurostar ( a bullet train) and headed to France via the english channel. On the english side the train chugged along at about 100 kms per hour but once they got through the tunnel into France (where there is no speed limit for trains really) he wound the thing up and we must have been going about 300 kms an hour easy. Pretty sweet.

Arrived into Paris at around 5pm and went and had a walk through the streets. I think I like Paris even more than I do London. Saw the Grand Opera House - a building that actually combines the styles of romanticism and classicism (two styles thought opposite at the time).

Today we grabbed some train tickets and headed to see the Lourve. For some reason they were letting everyone in for free so we were stoked not to pay (and we had to get out of the rain). Ching ching. Saw the Mona Lisa which really is all it is cracked up to be. It was pretty cool. Also saw the Venus de Milo and had a walk through the whole place. Had no idea it was actually as large as it is. It would be a good 700m - to a kilometer to walk from one end of the building to the other.

Also just went and saw the Pompidou Centre and Notre Dame Cathedral which was also pretty cool. Say a guy paint the Che Guevara head blindholded and from behind the page. It was pretty sweet so I snapped some photos.

Not much happening now. The weather is really packing up so we are going to head back to the hostel. Just got notcie that I have to move out of my flat which pains me so I will be hitting the flat websites and newspapers when I get home - unless any of you know of a room?