Sunday, December 11, 2011

On An Island

The trip around Indochina finished in a flurry. The Angkor Complex was incredible, as predicted. The number of temple locations and sights to see in the area is incredible so we limited ourselves to the best ones. On the first day (you need a three day pass to see it all really) we visited Ta Prohm, a temple most will find familiar with that majestically beautiful movie 'Tombraider'. It has been deliberately left overgrown and looked fantastic because of it. It annoys me how a visit to a ruin site or a wonder of the world is constantly marred by large scaffolding structures, necessary to 'protect' the future of the ruin whereas at the same time undermining the very idea of what it is - a ruin. This is why I thought Ta Prohm was the best temple we saw throughout the whole complex.

IMGP1844

 IMGP1857

IMGP1869

 IMGP1873

IMGP1885

 IMGP1920

 IMGP1931

IMGP1953

 IMGP1988

 Just Chillin', Angkor, Cambodia

 IMGP2007

As for all the photos of the kids. It is like bloody 'Lord of the Flies' throughout Indochina.
"Where are your parents?" we ask and are met with blank expressions.

The next day we woke up extremely early, earlier than the roosters even (god how I hate roosters now) and made our leisurely way out to Angkor Wat to see the sunrise over it. We were left stunned by the amount of tourists and photographers there, most of them the rudest people I have ever met in my life.
I managed to find a small spot to stand, on the edge of the filthiest lake ever mind you, before I was briefly shunted out of the way by a wannabe photographer who promptly moved exactly straight in front of me, so close I could have nibbled the back of his neck, or headbutted him. Then he stood there as if nothing was happening. Found another spot and another guy came up
"Hey man, do you mind if I stand in your exact spot for 10 minutes"
"10 Minutes! What!"
"Oh never mind" he said in a gruff and lent his camera on my shoulder and started clicking away in my ear. My left hand, my killing hand, was getting shaky. It had been a while since he was needed and he was thirsty.
I restrained, got in my squat mode and dipped out to the edge of the lake below all the kafufle.
This brings me to my next point - Facebook and Digital Cameras are literally ruining the way we respect travel. Im as guilty of it as anyone, but this realisation didn't occur as strongly until I got smacked in the face by it at Angkor. The pain shot down my spine, through my leg, across the grass and up a nearby palm tree.
Thirty years ago, visiting a temple such as Angkor (built to align with the sunrise and sunset mind you) at sunrise would be a life affirming scenario. Travellers would chill on the banks, and gaze in silent wonder. Nowadays it is all about whether one can get 'the photo' to show off and say "I've been there". Once you are done fighting people to see the sunrise yourself in a moment of solitude, the event is over and you are left empty. Upon reflection, this has happened at most of the major sites I have visited.
"Wow, the Great Pyramids" I exclaim, in awe
Polish girls we were travelling with - "Can you get our photo?" "Great, seen it, now lets go sunbake"

But....... but.........but............aren't you amazed?

Here's some photos of the day:


Purple Haze,Angkor, Cambodia

IMGP2037

IMGP2106

IMGP2115

IMGP2136

IMGP2173

Tired, Angkor, Cambodia

IMGP2234

IMGP2273

IMGP2295

IMGP2338

We had a long day driving from Siem Reap to Bangkok for our final night of the tour. It was a great trip, one of the best, and I am glad to have shared it with a great bunch of people. Below is a quick photo of the group, less the tour guide and two of the group members.

IMGP1911

A few nights staying on in Bangkok and we are now resting it up on the Thai island of Koh Chang. The sun is glorious, and although our visit started out a bit rough (will talk about it later - too soon now, too soon), we think it will be a perfect place to finish things up prior to the trip back to oz.